Carton & Rosoff PC-Attorney at Law

Resolving disputes creatively

How to register an out-of-state child support order in New York

Many people live in New York, but not everyone who lives in the state was born here or has lived here their entire lives. There are many things that can happen prior to moving here that will follow people wherever they go. One of these things is that if the person has children they will be with the parent as they move. That parent may also have obtained a child support order in a different state prior to moving. These orders are another thing that can follow the parent to New York as well.

However, in order to enforce the child support order or be able to modify it, the order must first be registered in New York. In order to do this, the parent needs to send a number of different documents to the courts. The parent must send a letter requesting registration; two copies of the out-of-state child support order, one of which must be certified; a sworn statement of any arrears owed on the order and the name of the parent paying child support, their address, social security number and name of their employer if known.

Child support orders are very important for parents and their children. They can be essential to ensure that the child's financial needs are met. So, it is important that the parent can continue to receive child support even after they move. Once the parent registers the out-of-state child support, it can then be enforced or modified according to the same methods as if the child support order originated in New York.

Many parents move to New York while they are receiving child support from the other parent. These parents can register these orders in New York so they can enjoy the benefits of the enforcement remedies and modification procedures. In order to do this though they must follow certain steps. Experienced attorneys understand the requirements for registering child support orders and could be a useful resource.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Form

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Carton & Rosoff PC
150 Grand Street, Suite 305
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-949-6700
Fax: 914-381-7158
White Plains Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.