Carton & Rosoff PC-Attorney at Law

Resolving disputes creatively

Amounts deducted from income for child support

There are many things that parents provide for their children as they grow up. They provide love and emotional support, but also provide most of their children's financial support as well. In fact, parents are required to provide shelter, food and clothing to children until they are adults. Parents generally do this together when they are still married or living together, but when the couple is no longer together ensuring both parents provide can be more difficult, especially when one parent has the children more than the other.

To ensure that both parents do in fact contribute financially for their children's needs, non-custodial parents are generally ordered to pay child support to the custodial parent. Child support orders are based on the parents' income, which includes many different ways that people receive money, such as income from a job, workers' compensation, self-employment income and many other forms. Then, the non-custodial parent pays a percentage of that income for child support. The percentage they pay is based on the number of children.

However, there are certain deductions that are made from the income before determining the amount of child support. One is unreimbursed business expenses. Another is the amount a parent pays for spousal maintenance to a former spouse or the current spouse. Child support paid for a non-joint child is also deducted. Finally, public assistance received by either spouse, supplemental security income and taxes paid are deducted. After all deductions are made then the percentage is taken from the amount left for child support.

Parents earn money in many different ways to provide for their children. For the most part, any income a parent earns will be used to determine child support, but there are deductions that are made for various payments, such as child support for a non-joint child taxes and spousal maintenance.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Form

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Carton & Rosoff PC
150 Grand Street, Suite 305
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-949-6700
Fax: 914-381-7158
White Plains Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.