Carton & Rosoff PC-Attorney at Law

Resolving disputes creatively

Custodial and non-custodial parents and child support

After a divorce settlement, custody arrangements and financial aspects have been settled and agreed upon, most parents are hoping that life will begin to return to a 'new normal.' As the now single parent and kids are adjusting to their new living environment and other changes, it is the hope that both parents will be able to fulfill their obligations outlined in their divorce decree. There are many differences for how child support obligations are viewed and fulfilled for custodial and non-custodial White Plains parents.

For instance, the custodial parent is the one who has primary physical custody of the child and they may be eligible for child support from the non-custodial parent. Physical custody means that they are responsible for the day-to-day care of the child and usually does most of the parenting. This alone will not qualify a custodial parent to receive child support. There are some very basic yes or no questions that one can answer to help get them acquainted with what is required to receive child support.

It is important to know the whereabouts of the non-custodial parent and if legal paternity is an issue, this needs to have a definitive answer. Also, a child support order must be filed in order to be considered for child support. Similar requests can also be filed if a parent is not fulfilling their child support requirements as outlined in the divorce settlement decree. Delinquent child support payments can have a truly detrimental outcome and are not advised as it is rarely in the best interests of the child.

Naturally, this is a problem and sometimes great strides must be taken in order to correct problems. Delinquent payments can become a real problem for the custodial parent and the child. It can be difficult to make ends meet when the bills cannot be offset with the child support payments your children deserve. This can lead the custodial parent to file a child support dispute. Consider this as an option if delinquent payments are a continual problem for you and your family.

Source:, "Are you eligible for child support?," Accessed Sept. 28, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Form

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Carton & Rosoff PC
150 Grand Street, Suite 305
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-949-6700
Fax: 914-381-7158
White Plains Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.