Carton & Rosoff PC-Attorney at Law

Resolving disputes creatively

How the county helps with delinquent payments of child support

Child support in Westchester County is an integral part of caring for a child when the parents are no longer together. Unfortunately, there are times when the supporting parent does not make the required payments. Custodial parents might not know what to do when the would-be supporting parent is guilty of delinquent payments. The county has certain steps it will take to help in these circumstances.

The child must be supported until age 21, whether the parent has ever lived with the child, is in the child's life or not. In Westchester, there is an Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE). Its mandate is to make certain that children who are required to receive support get it.

When a custodial parent or guardian of a child is not receiving financial support in full, the OSCE can help. The following people can apply for assistance from the OCSE: a custodial parent, guardian or caretaker; a noncustodial parent of a child who is living with a custodial parent, guardian or caretaker. Child support services are automatic for foster parents, those receiving Medicaid or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).

The custodial parent must provide all relevant information, such as the full name, date of birth, Social Security number, names of the children, copies of child support orders and any other vital information. Information of the noncustodial parent must also be provided.

When help is sought, the child support worker will look at the application, accrue information as to the situation and decide what should be done next. The OCSE can find the supporting parent, establish paternity, if necessary, and get a court order for the child support to be paid.

The failure to pay child support can be a big problem for the custodial parent and the child. Since raising a child is expensive, the failure to pay child support must be dealt with. With the county having an office specifically created to help those who are not receiving these payments, there is an outlet for parents who are not getting what they are owed. An attorney experienced in child support cases can help with a case to meet the financial needs of the children.

Source:, "Office of Child Support Enforcement," accessed on April 17, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Form

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Carton & Rosoff PC
150 Grand Street, Suite 305
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-949-6700
Fax: 914-381-7158
White Plains Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.